Monday, December 29, 2008

My Morning Jacket at the Chicago Theater

I won't make a pretenses about being a big fan of My Morning Jacket.  I bought "At Dawn" in 2001 when it was released but I'm not about to turn this into a "I knew them way back then" post. Despite it's buzz on message boards, it didn't do too much for me.  A little too much reverb, a little long at 70 plus minutes, and then the purple on black lyric sheet didn't endure me very well either.  I'd give it a spin from time to time but mostly it was relagated to a cameo on shuffle on my iPod (once I joined the 21st century and got an iPod in 2007).
I'd take note of the bands rise from smaller clubs, building a buzz with fans, as well as getting the rep as a fantastic live band, as well as a "Jam Band".  It was also noted that they were getting rave reviews on their records.  It still didn't possess me to go and buy their records. . . until Saturday December 27th.  This is when I saw them at Chicago Theater.  I was invited by a friend and left to my own devices, it's a show I would not have sought a ticket for.
With a fervent fan base in tow, My Morning Jacket rocked the Chicago Theater.  One of the grand old theaters in Chicago.  It has a balcony equivalent to where those old dudes from the Muppet Show would critique Fozie and Kermit.  It's also where ushers sometimes hush patrons and point them to stay seated with flashlights (read:  No Dancing In the Aisles!).  Tonight, the crowd was allowed to boogie and sing all they wanted, even in the upper reaches of the theater.  I slinked out and picked up their latest release, "Evil Urges" on vinyl for $20 at the merchandise table.
Once I got home to listen to the record I found out just what a powerhouse live outfit MMJ really is.  The record is almost downright tame compared to the experience of a MMJ show.  So while I'm really tempted to get "It Still Moves" I think I'm more inclined to get the live boxset "Okonokos".  
While I don't regret going to see My Morning Jacket when they played at a place like Schuba's I will admit that I'm glad that I did finally get to see them.  See, it's more proof that I have no idea what is good for me.  Left to my own devices I'd have stayed home and played records with myself.
Since we know everything you read on the internet is true, here is a wikipedia link for My_Morning_Jacket

No comments:

Post a Comment