Tuesday, February 17, 2009

If the Walls Could Sing


The house we live in dates from 1885.  The other day I was listening to Blind_Willie_McTell, an old blues singer who's music dates from the late 1920's.  That sentence is vague enough I'm totally understating his influence.  His death in 1959 went largely unnoticed until his music was reissued and Bob Dylan immortalized him in a song from The_Bootleg_Series_Volumes_1-3 in 1991.  Listening to McTell in my old house just got me thinking that perhaps someone else had listened to McTell in this same house, in the same room, looking out to Lords Park,  on 78 speed records, and on a record player not to different from the one I own.   Now, if I only had a couple original McTell 78's instead of the dime-a-dozen waltzes and foxtrots that I picked up at thrift stores and flea markets that were the pop songs of that era.

It's nice to imagine someone listening to McTell, the Carter Family, or some old Robert Johnson records in our old house but what people were probably listening to was the pop songs of the day, waltzes and foxtrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment