Monday, July 27, 2009

The Wrens at Schubas Tavern - Chicago July 24, 2009


New Jersey's own, The Wrens, played Schubas Tavern in Chicago, Illinois in what was the first of two shows. I had been anticipating this show for a couple of years since I had first seen The Wrens a couple years ago at Schubas (it's really bugin me that I can't put an apostrophe in Schubas). I was floored by that show. It was so good that The Wrens made my short list of bands that I must see whenever they are in town. I did see them a second time at some street festival a couple of summers ago but that didn't match the intensity of the show I saw at Schubas.

The "house" music at Schubas when I walked in was Bruce Springsteen's "Nebraska".

The show started with the recently rumored to be dead Thax_Douglas reading some poems. Thax is alive and well. His poems? Well . . . let's just say I'm not a fan but it is pretty cool that he gets to read poems at rock shows. The show had a similar intensity of the show I saw previously in the quaint settings of Schubas. Kevin Whelan is a near madman on stage. It's like just when you're about to think he's going to go completely mad, he reigns it back in with humor and wonderful songs. Greg Whelan is the most "in the pocket" guitarist since Mike_Campbell. I'm not exactly sure what "in the pocket" means but I heard it once to describe Campbell. I know Campbell is as steady as they come. So is Greg Whelan. Charles Bissell, with is somewhat unique guitar playing, is one of my favorite vocalists as well as songwriters. Whew, I avoided using the term "singer/songwriter".

The show itself wasn't too different from the previous show I saw. It had a similar set list but we were treated to 4 or 5 brand-spankin' new songs. It's well-documented of The Wrens glacier-like approach to releasing records so it was refreshing to hear some new material. The newer songs were piano oriented with Kevin Whelan taking the lead vocals. It's hard to make a fair judgement from hearing them just once but my ears didn't hear an "She Sends Kisses" or a "Happy" in the new material. Maybe I'm just a jaded concert goer but they really need to retire the "fans with drumsticks" bit during "Boys, You Won't".

As The Wrens closed out the show the appreciative crowd brought them back for an encore. If you've never been to Schubas, the off stage always humors me because the bands just go outside on the Belmont Avenue sidewalk and just wait to go back in. There is no backstage to speak of. They played the obligatory encore but those nutty kids and fans of The Wrens cheered and cheered for more. The house lights didn't come up, didn't come up, then The Wrens came back to play some more. They made it well-known that they didn't have any more material rehearsed that wouldn't embarrass them. As they joked about it and shrugged their shoulders, the audience laughed and it was comical. Then it became apparent they really didn't have any more songs rehearsed. Really. We got bits and pieces of Led Zeppelin's "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Rock N Roll". We did get what appeared to be an impromptu version of "I've Made Enough Friends" from their record "Secaucus", which was pretty cool.

So not only are they slow pokes at releasing new records, which they make light of themselves and most people find it endearing, including myself. It also became apparent that they don't spend a lot of their free time working on their set lists, song arrangements, or even a few covers. Speaking of covers, we didn't even get The Outfield's "Your Love", which I've heard them cover before. I know most of the band has "day jobs" and families but I did get to thinking, "What the hell? You haven't released a record in 6 years and now you've run out of songs to play? What are you doing in your spare time?" Play freakin' "Ex-Girl Collection" would ya?

Buy hey, it was a good show and they're still on my short list of bands to see, especially if they release that new material . . . someday. While some of the set seemed "paint-by-number" and contrived, The Wrens could have just closed shop and not have come back for an encore they weren't ready for, but they did. So I credit them for that in an age of total lack of spontaneity in rock shows. So while the encore crossed the line from humorous to embarrassing I don't think anyone at Schubas (no apostrophe) left the joint disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment