Friday, January 8, 2010

Top Records of the "Aughties"



As promised to both of my loyal blog readers (if I have even that many), here is my Top 10 of the "aughties", which to those of you keeping score at home is top records for the last decade. Let's get started by ranking things that I really liked first. My favorites of the last 10 years.

1. The Wrens - The Meadowlands - (2003) I didn't come to this record 'til 2005 and when I did, it really took me by storm. It wasn't like I succumbed to the hype. I bought it by word of mouth, saw 'em live, then read all the praise the record got. Very deservedly so. Buy it on vinyl from the band!

2. Drive by truckers - Southern Rock Opera - (2001) Great concept record about living in the south, Skynard, and going to rock shows, among other things. It's a double CD, an opus. By the end of the decade this bit had kinda worn thin with me with DBT but this record stands out on it's own. If your in the same boat as me, give it a listen . . . again.

3. Son Volt - Okemah and the Melody of Riot - (2005) Are ya looking for a good Americana rock record? This is my suggestion and scathing lyrics against the Bush administration and the 2003 Iraq Invasion. It's a modern day protest record.

Bruce_Springsteen - Magic - (2007) Though "The Rising" is strong, I liked this one better. Great melodies, key changes, sax solos, character angst, wait, am I reviewing "The River"? A compact 12 songs on one vinyl record. Includes two of Springsteen's better songs in recent years, "You'll Be Coming Down" and "Your Own Worst Enemy".

4. Okkervil River - Black-Sheep-Boy (2005) - Like many others, this was my intro to Okkervil River. One of the more powerful songs of the decade is "For Real". Go see 'em live!

5..Gillian Welch - Time (The Revelator)- (2001) Perhaps one of my favorite records of all time. "April the 14th (Part 1)" is a history lesson onto itself.


6. The_Black_Keys - ThickFreakness - (2003) A little late to the party with this band but am I glad I found them. All their records are good so I guess this was a "just pick one".

7. Gentleman Jesse His Men/ - self titled (2008) Great guitar pop record. Period.

8. Centro-matic - Love You Just the Same(2003) Will Johnson is probably one of the more underrated songwriters of this decade. Oddly, the other underrated songwriter from this decade is Okkervil River's Will Sheff.

9. The Eels - Soul Jacker (2001) Two words, "You little punks think you own this town!"

10. We'll call it a three way tie for tenth place
Richard Buckner - The Hill (2000)
Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes (2008)
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - 100 Days, 100 Nights

Others bearing at least some consideration:
Paul Westerberg - Stereo/Mono
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (someday I'll prolly laugh at this omission from my top 10)
The White Stripes - pick any record and put it on
Beck - Sea Change
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals - Cold Roses
The Roots - Phrenology
Okkervil River - The Stage Names
Calexico - Carried to Dust

By my lastfm counts (which is linked in the margins, click 'em) here are the records I listened to most via lastfm. Keep in mind, it may be a little skewed since I didn't start scrobbling til late 2005. Also, one song played on an album counts as an "album play". So if a song is included on a playlist, for example, the "album" the song is on gets a play count. If that makes sense.

1. The Wrens - The Meadowlands
2. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins
3. South San Gabriel - Dual Hawks
4. Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
5. Calexico - Carried to Dust
6. Bruce Springsteen - Magic
7. Son Volt - Okemah and the Melody of Riot
8. Son Volt - American Central Dust
9. Radiohead - In Rainbows
10. The Arcade Fire - Neon Bible
11. The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music
12. Raconteurs - Consolors of the Lonely
13. Foxboro Hot Tubs - Stop Drop and Roll
14. Pink Nasty - Mold the Gold
15. 21st Century Breakdown - Green Day

No comments:

Post a Comment