Friday, July 22, 2011

Villa Verone Person of the Week

As we explore scenes from an Italian Restaurant in Elgin we find a great place, Villa Verone. Villa Verone is nestled on a small city block on Douglas Ave. A great place for dinner, the occasional live band, or even just to stop for a drink or even a gourmet cup of coffee. After all, we all know that coffee just tastes better in a ceramic cup and a saucer.

Around this time last year, the owner, Pietro Verone began the idea of having an "Elgin Person of the Week" each Thursday night. The EPOW (as it has become known as) is just a great occasion to honor someone or organization in town with a night of friendship, conversation, camaraderie, some appetizers, drinks, and karaoke. It was with great honor that I was chosen for this event on July 21st, 2011. Thanks to Pietro and all the staff at Villa Verone for letting me, on behalf of Rediscover Records, be the guest of honor. Thanks to all of those who attended, thought about attending, or even wished they had intended. I even tried my hand as bus boy and bartender to help out. When I couldn't even make a kiddie cocktail I was kicked out from behind the bar!

I was even coaxed into singing karaoke for the first time in my life. While I may have strummed, fumbled my way through a song or two on my guitar at an open mic, I had never sung karaoke to "canned" music. With a person with very little range, is there something in a person's range who has no range? I looked through the karaoke handbook and found one song by Kris Kristofferson, "Why Me". It was the only Kristofferson song in the entire book of literally thousands of songs! Fortunately, or unfortunately, depends how you look at it, it was one I thought I could sing.  While thankfully, there seems to be no evidence, other than a phone photo or two, of video of this strange singing occurrence. Truth be told, it was probably just okay, I probably just sounded like a guy who never sang karaoke and rarely sings in public.

Here is Kris Kristofferson with the original version of "Why Me".

No comments:

Post a Comment