Sunday, May 10, 2009

Stuck my toe in the record sellin' bidna

I was in Elgin Antiques and Uniques a few weeks ago.  He has a fragile little bull in a china shop kinda place that I admire.  I told him how it's been a bit of a pipe dream to have a little shop in downtown Elgin, Il but with records, CD's, and music.  You know, something with maybe a word like "Emporium" in the title.  Ray says to me that people are asking him if he has any records all the time.

So then Ray says to me, "Why don't you bring a box full of records down, we can work something out, and you can sell them on consignment?"  

I almost jump out of my Red Wings at the thought!  I scoured through my 78's and some of my LP's that I didn't really listen to that much or records that I thought might do well in an antique store.  I brought down about 50 - 78 speed records to sell at a buck a piece.  Nothing special just the dime-a-dozen waltzes and fox trots you can pretty much pick up anywhere.  Even those, though, have a nice old antique feel that put you in another place as you listen to them.  I also brought down about 40 records that I have priced anywhere from a couple bucks to $10-15.  I mostly just priced them by my heart, what some were going for on ebay, or the Jerry Osborne Rockin Records  guide.

Apparently I sold 5 records at Elgin Uniques Grand Opening!  If I remember correctly, I sold Led Zeppelin "Coda", a Chuck Berry 2 record set, Blues Brothers "Made In America", and perhaps an old Duke Ellington live set.  I'll be switching out some records and adding others that I get.  We'll see how it goes, ya know, vinyl is making a comeback. . .

How does "Comeback Records and Music Emporium" sound for a record store name?

No comments:

Post a Comment