Monday, December 28, 2009

Concert Experiences

There are many great concert experiences one could cull from a live performance. The full on rawk show, with lazer's, explosions, light shows, rawk show sing-a-longs when the singer holds out the mic to indicate, "Okay, everybody else sing now, I'm tired, then I'll compliment you and say the city that I'm in name for gratuitous applause". There's the intimate coffee house setting, solo acoustic(!!) the jaw-dropping moment, the can't-wipe-my-smile-off-my-face moment, face melting (but not in the Raiders of the Lost Ark way), the obscure cover moment where all the hard core fans are beside themselves with giddiness that their hero would play such an obscure gem. Then there's the weird dancing guy, you know, like Beatle_Bob, that may or may not take away from your concert going experience. Who can forget the I-think-I-just-met-my-future-significant other moment when someone near you knows all the same lyrics as you do. How is this possible? And she's a cute girl too! Then there's the bring a bunch of fans up to the stage who kinda look outta place up there, like kids trying to play the "Grand Prize Game" on Bozo but at the same time they think they are so cool cos they are on stage.

However(comma), the one I have in mind a somewhat modest concert moment. It's when you may drive to the show and you are listening to the band you are going to see as a pre-show primer. This does not violate any concert going ettiquette, such as wearing the concert shirt to see the band you are seeing, but I digress and that's for another blog entry, probably someone else's blog. May I resume? You park your car, the song is in mid-song as you turn the ignition off. Then later that night you hear that song and you think to yourself, "Hey, that was the song I was (ahem) jammin' to in my car as I parked it!"

This phenomenon happened to me last night at The_Waco_Brothers show at Schubas Tavern in Chicago. The song, "Nothing At All" from their fine record, "Freedom and Weep".

No comments:

Post a Comment