Saturday, December 26, 2009

Vic Chesnutt 1964 - 2009


On Christmas Eve I had just listened to Vic Chesnutt's latest record, "At the Cut". It's been on semi-regular rotation since I saw him for the first time in my life at Lincoln Hall in early November 2009. I came up to check my computer (yeah, I still use one of those antiques that sit on a desk, not a laptop, not a iPhone, droid, Zune, Dune, or similar apparatus) and was saddened to see Vic Chesnutt was in a coma! Of course, in this day and age with interwebs, wits, twits, texts, and twats, news does tend to spread fast, even if it's erroneous news. After some ill-advised news leaks in the next 24 hours, it was confirmed that Vic Chesnutt had died on Christmas Day 2009. It was an apparent suicide attempt that had left him in a coma.
I had heard of Chesnutt's music before, had it on a soundtrack or a compilation CD, but admittedly, I'm late to the party with his oeuvre of music. Then there was the R.E.M connection that had garnered his music some attention. The aforementioned show at Lincoln Hall was basically my introduction to Vic Chesnutt. When I heard him play those songs that night were the first times I had heard those songs in my life. There were probably less than 100 people in the Hall that night. I was about 10 feet from the stage.
"We're here to play some mu-jik tonight." was his intro. It was just an odd pronounciation of the word "music". At first I wasn't sure if that was how he pronounced the word, a speech impediment, or he was just goofin around. Chesnutt has been in a wheel chair since 1983 when he was in a car accident.
So I'm standin there, taking in this show, he has a full band in tow with former members of Fugazi and Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra. I can read "Vic" on the headstock of his guitar. The guitar has that all too cool "played" look. He gets a great sound out of it. He plays surprisingly well despite his physical limitations. But who am I to call them limitations? Fool. The band completely rocks in the context of Chesnutt's songs culled mostly from his last two records. He's a dynamic performer, one of the more passionate performers I've ever seen in my life. It was just the way he would tug on his shirt, adjusted his seat in his chair, paused between songs, told a joke or a story, and just the way he belted out lyrics were nothing short of stunning. The most compelling song of the night was the way he sat in the wheel chair belting out, "Coward" off his last record. In a lifetime of going to see live music, this song, without question, was one of the best live performances of any one song I have ever seen.
More people are writing more fitting tributes than I to Vic Chesnutt's music and legacy. As Chesnutt lived a life with chemical dependancy and previous suicide attempts the lyrics to this song seem only apropo. These are from "Flirted With You All My Life", a song from his last record.

I am a man.
I am self-aware.
And everywhere I go
You're always right there with me.
I flirted with you all my life,
Even kissed you once or twice
And to this day I swear it was nice
But clearly I was not ready.

When you touched a friend of mine,
I thought I would lose my mind.
But I found out with time
That really, I was not ready.
Oh, death. Oh, oh, death.
Oh, death. Really, I'm not ready.

Oh, death, you hector me.
Death's unmade those dear to me.
You tease me with your sweet relief.
You're cruel and you are constant.
When my mom was cancer-sick,
She fought but then succumbed to it.
But you made her beg for it.
"Lord Jesus, please I'm ready."
Oh, death. Oh, oh, death.
Oh, death. Really, I'm not ready.
Oh, death. Oh, oh, death.
Oh, death. Clearly, I'm not ready, no, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment