Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pitchfork and Torches




This latest entry is in regards to backlash, namely the music website pitchfork.com. It seems to me that if Pitchfork really plugs a band, gives them a 9.something on their "we're-too-cool-for-you" scale, and launch them as the next big thing, there's the inevitable backlash. I don't dislike Pitchfork, I like Pitchfork, I mean, I
have their site bookmarked,

I go to it when the spirit moves me, someone sends me a link, or I see a reference on Facebook, or something like that. It's nice to have around sometimes. Actually, my favorite pitchforks are the ones used when a posse is organized, like in "Frankenstein" or those brave souls *cough* in the posse organized for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" My favorite artwork from that game "Masterpiece is American_Gothic. You know, the oft-spoofed farmer couple holding, what else? A pitchfork.

I'm here to say, hipsters, that sometimes Pitchfork gets it right. The band where I think Pitchfork got it right is with Girls. While that may seem like a search engine nightmare (well, the try searching the band, "The The") the name of their debut record is called "Album". What's next a song named, "Song"? Oddly enough, the two main components of Girls are two guys, Christopher Owens and Chet Jr White. It's chock full of little pop music nuggets. It's full of enough jangly guitar to make those fans of the Island years of R.E.M. smile. Well they'll smile long enough til they think of the wahwah peddle in "Stand" or about Bill Berry leaving the band and get grumpy. The song titles are either swear words ("God Damned", "Hellhole Ratrace" or "Bad Mean Motherfucker") or have a reference to a girl ("Laura", "Lauren Marie" or the ambiguous "Darling") in them. These are well-crafted pop songs with the record checking in at just around 44 minutes. "Laura" has this feel good hit of the summer feel to it, "Ghost mouth" has that 60's girl group wall-o-sound drum to tambourine sound to it. I realize it's rock critic-speak cliche to cite "Pet_Sounds" as a reference but with some of these songs the reference is apt. Pitchfork gave it a 9.1 on their ratings scale. Read more for yourself: Pitchfork Girls "Album" review.

Getting back to Pitchfork backlash. I realize there has been music backlash probably since the first lute but I think some music is shoved aside because of the hype or from Pitchfork. "Oh, that's just one of those 'pitchfork' bands", which translates for some to "they are wimpy indie rock bands with fey lyrics and dudes who look like douche bags". While, that sentiment may hold true for some Pitchfork bands or indie rock bands, not always. What if Pitchfork was around when Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over the Sea" was released? The Replacements "Tim"? What if Neutral Milk Hotel was new today and played the Pitchfork festival and not Lounge Ax like they did in the late 90's? Would NMH experienced similar backlash? Would people have tossed them aside as some sort of "pitchfork band"?

Granted, water seeks it's own level and if something is great, it'll be regarded as such despite the hype. But before you dismiss the next big thing from Pitchfork (Okay, you can dismiss F--- Buttons) some of these bands to bear a listen for yourself and are really good despite some sort of 9.something on the pocket protector scale.

Funny, as I was writing this I looked up NMH's "Aeroplane" on Pitchfork and they gave it a 10.0, seven years after it's initial release. Hmmm, Pitchfork gave it a 10.0, I guess if I'm like all the cool kids I'll have to take "Aeroplane" off of Desert Island Disc status. Bon Voyage.

In the meantime, here is Girls with "Lust For Life". Iggy, stop shaking your head!



No comments:

Post a Comment